Friday, November 30, 2007

Secret Santa Solution

I don't enjoy Secret Santa gift exchanges, so no more gag gifts, soap, candles or boxes of candy for me. This year, we're doing something different and I am so-o-o-o excited. It starts like a Secret Santa exchange: draw names, keep it secret, gather to celebrate and exchange gifts. Here's the twist -- the Secret Santa gift is a toy that reflects the life and interests of the recipient. So my friend the artist might get a coloring book and crayons and my friend who travels for work might get a toy airplane. Be as silly and creative as you dare. Once the presents are open and the party's over, the presents go to a local organization that collects toys for children. (Most of them don't want the toys to be wrapped anyway.)

Everyone wins. The gifts are personal, inexpensive and fun, and best of all, they end up in the hands of a child who will love them. Way better than soap, candles or golf balls. I hope you'll spread this new tradition to your friends. Merry Christmas!

No comments: