Tuesday, July 17, 2007

What I Did On My Summer Vacation


We are away on summer vacation until Friday. I am taking a class with Lynda Barry, the cartoonist who created Marlys, pictured at left. Doing something new and different is what vacation's all about, and here at hippie camp, we get to eat incredible vegetarian food, so I can stay on my diet without feeling deprived even one little bit, and my seven-year-old is trying new food at every meal. People are here from all over the country for the many different programs offered during Art Week.

Some of us are writing or painting or dancing, but some of us, like Garden Girl, are on the trapeze -- yes, you read right. Garden Girl is flying through the air with the greatest of ease every day for a week. Today she managed to accomplish the trick you see here: she went out on the swing and let go so she could be caught by the catcher. I'm happier on the ground, but I love knowing she's flying. Wow!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What fun!

Barbara B. said...

Well how cool is that?! Your vacation sounds awesome!

Diane M. Roth said...

Wow, Art Week. what a concept. I want to go there (wherever that is). Maybe next year? And Lynda Barry? Wow!!!
I actually used one of her cartoons in a theology class...I'll have to see if I can find it... the gist of it had to do with "what if god is small..."